If you’re an adult with crooked teeth, you might be embarrassed to try and get them fixed. Braces are awkward, they can poke you, and food can easily get trapped under the wires. Not to mention they can make you look like a teenager again! Fortunately, there is another option: Invisalign in Baytown. These sets of clear aligners straighten your teeth more subtly and in less time than braces do. Let’s look at the reasons why Invisalign is so popular with adults.
What Is Invisalign and How Does It Work?
Invisalign is a set of clear plastic aligners that gradually reposition the teeth. Each aligner is a different step in your smile transformation. You’ll wear each set of aligners at least 22 hours a day for about two weeks, then move to the next set. Usually, Invisalign can give you a perfectly straight smile in as little as 12 months. It costs about the same as braces and is often covered by orthodontic insurance plans.
Why Is Invisalign So Popular for Adults?
From 1994 to 2010, the number of people over the age of 18 who had their teeth straightened more than doubled, which may be attributed to Invisalign launching in 1999. Adults love having their teeth straightened in more subtle ways than braces. Here are a few other reasons why Invisalign is so popular:
- Convenience. While braces must remain in your mouth for the duration of treatment, you can remove your aligners for eating, sports, and special events. You can also take them out to brush and floss. This lowers the risk of tooth decay caused by food getting trapped under braces.
- Appearance. Or lack thereof. Traditional braces appear clunky and draw attention to your orthodontic flaws. However, Invisalign is clear and barely noticeable. You can wear them to work or job interviews and no one will even be able to tell!
- Comfort. Invisalign aligners have smooth edges which are not likely to irritate the gums and cheeks. The metal wires and brackets of braces can come off inside your mouth and hurt these tissues. With Invisalign, you don’t have to worry about any discomfort.
- High-tech customization. With the help of high-tech digital imaging, Invisalign aligners are designed differently for each individual patient to maximize treatment time and comfort. The digital imaging technology can also show you how your teeth will look when treatment is completed.
What Are the Health Benefits of Invisalign?
In addition to restoring your smile, Invisalign can provide other health benefits as well, such as:
- Food can’t get caught. It’s easy for food to get trapped under brackets and wires. This can result in an increased risk of tooth decay and gum infections like gingivitis. With Invisalign, simply remove your aligners to brush and floss after you eat.
- Better oral health. Excessively spaced or overcrowded teeth can cause gum disease. When the teeth are positioned correctly, the gum fit better around them, lowering risk of gum disease.
- No restrictive diet. With braces, it can be difficult to eat certain foods. However, with Invisalign, you can eat whatever you want. Just remember to take out your aligners beforehand!
It’s easy to see why Invisalign has become so popular. It offers a smooth, relatively fast way to give you a straight and beautiful smile. If you want to straighten your teeth but have been shy about seeking treatment, contact your cosmetic dentist in Baytown to see if Invisalign is right for you.
About the Author
Dr. Dean Hutto earned his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of Texas Dental School in Houston in 1992. He completes about 4 times the required amount of continuing education hours in order to stay up to date on the best treatment that modern dentistry has to offer. He is certified in Invisalign. If you would like to learn how he can help you achieve a beautifully straight smile, click here or call (281)-422-8248.